Africa : assistance in the formulation and implementation of an investment programme for Niger Basin Countries 2006 - 2008
Since the Declaration of Paris on "The principles of management and good governance for sustainable and shared development of the Niger Basin" was signed in April 2004 by the nine Heads of State and Government, the various meetings of the Niger Basin Authority (NBA) bodies confirmed the will of the nine Member States (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria) to make this organization a tool for regional cooperation and economic development.
Thus, a "clear and shared Vision" of the Niger Basin was formulated to create an "environment favorable" to cooperation and to draw up a "Sustainable Development Action Plan (SDAP)" accepted by all the basin stakeholders.
IOWater is NBA partner in this project, and deals with the task of assisting in work control, especially on the following topics:
* Drafting a Water Charter;
* Consistency of the SDAP with the national and regional processes of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM);
* Preparation of the investment programme and the methods for the implementation of the projects.
With the formulation of the SDAP and the development of the Investment Programme by the end of 2007 and the Summit of the Heads of State and roundtable of the donors planned for the beginning of 2008, the Niger Basin Authority will be able to achieve practical and lasting outcomes for ensuring the future of the basin users and citizens.
IOWater provided specific assistance on the following:
- analysis and drafting of legal instruments
- adequacy with Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) national processes
- formulation of the investment programme and definition of an implementation schedule
- identification of investment projects and implementation conditions
and participated in Steering Committees, and was associated in the preparation of the roundtable of the donors.