In October 2010, the Loire-Brittany and Nakanbé Water Agencies signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the development of joint actions in the field of Integrated Water Resources Management and decentrealized cooperation. Late 2011, an implementation program was defined for 2012 and 2013 with IOWater as executive agency.
The project focused on three main pillars of IWRM at the scale of the Nakanbé basin by:
• Enforcement of water resources management governance and planification on the basin – Enforcement of stakeholders through the Basin Committee ; involvement of water users and civil society through the Local Water Committees ; preparation of decisions – Articulation between the various bodies in coordination with the national level ; Articulation with the Volta Basin Authority (6 countries) ; Development of a methodology for elaborating planning tools ;
• Improving water data management at the basin and national level
• Identifying sustainable financing mechanisms through the application of the polluter-pays principle
A second phase was launched in 2014, and will help the process of establishing the Nakanbé Basin Management Plan.
• Participation of the NWA in the 6th World Water Forum in Marseilles ;
• A kick-off seminar and focus on the Nakanbé Master Plan for Water Development and Management ;
• Participation in a meeting of NWA partners ;
• Training on data management ;
• Participation in the Forum of Local Water Committees of the NWA ;
• Organisation of a study-tour in France ;
• Joint coordination mission with the White Volta sub-basin in Ghana;