Since it was established in 1972, OMVS, has been implementing a coherent programme for multi-sectoral and integrated development of the Senegal river basin.The admission of Guinea as member state, and the development of a multimodal transport organization, and the building of structuring works so-called second generation, are requiring a framework allowing increased effectiveness, dynamics and sustainability through a modernization of the institutional pattern and of managerial modes in accordance with the objectives defined in the Declaration of the Summit of Heads of States and Governments of 21 May, 2003.
The study was to provide the following :
• Analysis of OMVS institutional and legal framework ;
• Examination of OMVS background and experience in shared river basin management;
• Functional analysis of the on-going organizational scheme (strengths, weaknesses, advantages and constraints) ;
• Analysis of stakes and perspectives ;
• Adequacy of OMVS organizational, functional and legal framework with those of Member states, and of Regional and International Organizations ;
• Proposition of a new organizational scheme ;
• Evaluation of the social and financial impacts of the reforming process ;
• Evaluation of accompanying measures in the implementation of the reforming process ;
• Definition of an implementation schedule.
•OMVS missions and their overall coherence
•previous proposed schemes and options compared to the texts, philosophy, missions and means of OMVS
•administrative, financial and technical management instruments.
These analyses allowed to present optimal technical and financial solutions for institutional reforming.
An institutional scheme was proposed with general mechanisms regarding missions, organization and reforming costs. The missions and roles of the different structures to be set up were defined in a detailed implementation plan with accompanying and facilitating measures and with a set of useful performance indicators when put to the test of facts.
OMVS approved the final report which proposed:
- a new institutional pattern of OMVS organization ;
- a coherent development process with a schedule for setting up the new structures ;
- an evaluation of the financial and social impacts of the Reform, in particular the operating budget of the Organization.