The institutional Phare twinning project PL98/IB-EN-01, developed between the Polish and French governments, aimed to assist le the Polish Ministry of Environment in the process for bringing the Polish environment legislation closer to the EU legislation.
Led by IOWater, the component n° 2 of this project was directly in relation with Water information systems. It included specific actions for implementing basin observatories with in particular a study to support:
- The organisation of procedures for exchanging water data through the finalisation of technical glossaries;
- The organisation of the National data bank of the Information System on Environment based on the "Polish Reference System for Exchanging Water Data".
Exchange of experience on organisational and technical procedure on water related data management for European Directives, with:
- Analysis of the new Polish legislative and institutional elements regarding the organisation of water data management;
- Analysis of ''who does what'' in data collection and management;
- Identification of the main types of data which would have to be exchanged when setting up basin information systems;
- Presentation of the French experience in data management to representative of various Polish institutions (workshop gathering 30 persons);
- Presentation of recommendations related to the development of water data cadastres and basin observatories.