Twinning agreement - Czech Republic - Support to the Implementation of the Water Framework Directive
The Twinning covenant aimed to assist the Czech Republic with complying with the obligations of the European Union's membership. This implies adhering to the aims of the political, economic and monetary union, and the "acquis communautaire".
This project dealt specifically with the implementation of the Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy.
Among the various components of the project, the one concerning "Environmental Monitoring" included short-term experts missions of IOWater on "the development of a draft information and data management strategy for the Directive, with particular reference to reporting needs."
In conformity with the terms of reference, the reports included:
- an assessment of the current situation (Information needs, legislative and institutional context, current organisational and technical environment, identification);
- A gap identification (organisational aspects; technical aspects, missing or unusable data);
- Proposals of objectives and action plan to be developed in the framework of a medium/long term strategy and also of a short-term strategy.
Development of an information project and data management strategy for the Water Framework Directive, with particular references to reporting needs.The following was achieved through IOWater short term assignments:
- Assessment of the current situation of water data management, on the following aspects:
. Information needs;
. The legislative and institutional context;
. The current organisational and technical environment, identification.
- Analysis of the main gaps identified in relation with:
. The organisational aspects;
. The technical aspects;
. The missing or unusable data.
- Definition of proposal objectives and actions to be developed in the framework of a medium/long term strategy and also of a short term strategy.