In the framework of the overall Algerian-French cooperation program developed in 2004 and 2005 with the support of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, six 1 week-missions were realised by IOWater experts.
In compliance with ABH requirements, these missions allowed in particular to :
- Review the water IS context in Algeria (information sources, existing systems, ongoing projects, human and material capacities at ABH level) ;
- Analyse ABH information demands, and specifically those related to the water cadastre ;
- Present the French experience on water data management developed in the framework of RNDE ;
- Identify and analyse the existing information systems systems at the ANRH (Agence Nationale des Ressources Hydriques), one of the main water resources data provider in Algeria
- Support the structuring of ABH information systems through the development of a first model entity-relation model type covering all the topics of the water cadastre, and the other main data required by ABH ;
- Introduce the available functionalities of Arc-GIS type GIS tools ;
- Present water resources codification principles used in France and in Europe and in a number of other countries ;
- Set up and coordinate a working group dealing with the codification of surface waters (wadi, lakes) ;
- Develop an Access application for editing charge invoices of the ABH ;
- Support Internet portal development
These missions mainly consisted in working groups and training gathering generally a number of institutions such as : ABH, ANRH,INCT (Institut National de Cartographie et Télédétection), ANAT (Agence Nationale d'Aménagement du Territoire).
Technical support and training for the development of information management techniques : geographic information systems, data bases, Internet portal.