Development of a concept for a modern information system for the urban waste water treatment directive in Europe (SIIF 1)
The purpose of Directive 1991/271/EEC concerning urban waste water treatment is to allow for waste water to be collected and treated adequately to protect the aquatic environment. It includes a reporting system that was progressively developed and implemented over the years.
Structured Information and Implementation Frameworks (SIIFs) is the new information system to be progressively implemented in the next years. The main aim of any SIIF is to ensure the production and the online dissemination of information allowing the citizens to know the status of implementation of the Directive concerned.
The UWWTD and its established reporting processes were selected to serve as a SIIF pilot with the objective to identify all thematic and IT relevant aspects which need to be addressed for a full implementation of an operational UWWTD SIIF.
The overall objective of this Contract was the provision of technical, scientific and administrative assistance in carrying out tasks related to the implementation of the UWWTD.
The main objectives of this Specific Contract were in particular:
- To develop a concept paper which defines the new reporting, information and assessment system for the UWWTD which is based upon the SIIF concept, at both national and EU levels.
- To identify the current situation as regards dissemination of UWWTD related data in countries.3
- To identify the needs and features (via a vision document and uses cases) of a new information system from a technical point of view.
- To prepare a roadmap and a detailed work plan for the implementation of the concept.
Reference: contract n°07.0307/2012/638595/D2 under framework contract n°ENV.D.2/FRA/2012/0013
The project led to the production of a full set of documents which cover assessment of current situation in all EU28 member states, survey targeted to key actors, speification and planning of a supporting IT system for the new reporting system within SIIF: vision document including businecss vision document, business use case model and preparation of a roadmap and workplan. The following devliverables have been produced:
- Review of information available from EU member states and European Commission
- Analysis of information systems related to urban waste water in 6 EU member states
- Preparation of use cases for the future EU information system on urban waste water
- Preparation of a concept paper
- Prototyping some critical software components of the future system
- Definition of roadmap and work-plan for development, testing and production deployment of the future system
The most prominent is the Concept Paper “towards a new information system for Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive using the Structured Implementation and Information Framework”.
It is supported by a specific document addressing the thematic aspects of the information system and proposing many changes in the data collection template, and a document addressing IT aspects and proposing a shift from solely reporting system to a full information system.