Technical assistance to the Niger Basin Authority for the implementation of the study on the sustainable financing of NBA and for the finalization of annex n° 2 of the Water Charter and of the tool for the coordinated management of dams
This project is part of the Niger River Basin Management Project (NRBMP) financed by the World Bank. It consists to provide technical assistance aimed at strengthening the NBA for a sustainable and effective implementation of its mandate, functions and two specific activities targeted at water regulation and coordinated dam management.
More specifically, the project aims to
- Develop an autonomous and sustainable mechanism for the creation of financial resources for NBA;
- Improve the legal framework at basin level in order to strengthen coordination in the operation of transboundary infrastructures;
- Promote informed and evidence-based decision making for projects of regional interest.
In particular, the project supports the finalization and adoption of Annex 2 of the Niger Basin Water Charter adopted in 2008, which sets the legal framework for the coordinated management and optimization of major infrastructure, dispute resolution and enforcement of arbitration decisions. It also supports the role played by NBA in facilitating joint and informed decision-making on large transboundary dam projects and the conduct of studies on the potential impacts on the Inner Niger Delta.
- Analysis of the legal framework and development of the draft water regulation
- Consultation and sensitization of stakeholders in NBA member countries
- Drafting of the final version of Annex 2 to the Water Charter as a water regulation for structural dams
- Organizational diagnosis of NBA and the management of its human resources
- Proposal for a capacity building programme